Due to a generous sponsorship by Emirates NBD, MEI is pleased to announce its re-launch of its annual Middle East Essay Prize. The Emirates NBD Middle East Essay Prize now offers the original award of $1,000 as well as a week’s stay in Dubai. The Dubai trip includes return airfare (Singapore-Dubai), accommodation at a four-star hotel, and a per diem. The winner will also enjoy visits to Dubai banks and universities. The trip will take place at a mutually convenient time during the vacation period between Semester 1 and 2 (December 9, 2012 -January 13, 2013).
The topic of the paper must relate to the greater Middle East and North Africa, and the Islamic world. It may be informed by any theoretical approach or discipline. Generally, the topic of the paper should comport to one of MEI’s three research clusters: (1) Politics & Regional Security, (2) Political Economy & Business, or (3) Society & Culture.
Papers will be assessed by a select group of faculty using a blind review process (the author’s name will not be made known to the reviewers). Reviewers will judge the paper based on quality and originality. Assessment of quality is based on a well-formatted paper that makes a clear argument using primary and secondary sources to support the argument. Originality is exhibited by the adoption of a critical approach that treats a topic in a new way.
Rules for submission:
1. The paper must be an original creation of the author, and not have been previously submitted for publication.
2. The paper must be between 3,000 and 5,000 words (excluding bibliography).
3. The paper’s author must be a student actively pursuing his or her undergraduate degree at NUS, NTU, or SMU.
4. The paper must be submitted by 30 September 2012 to the Middle East Institute in electronic format (PDF format is preferred) to email@example.com.
5. Please note that those papers submitted earlier in 2012 for the MEI Student Paper Prize will also be considered.
MEI wishes to thank Emirates NBD for its generous sponsorship of this prize.